‘Sishya’ means disciple. The identity of a disciple is found in the disciple’s obedience to the master. This sums up the origins of Sishya. After 23 years of ministry with Friends Missionary Prayer Band, God led Ashok and Sheila Vedhanayagam to launch Sishya simply as an act of obedience to the call of their Master, Jesus Christ. The initial days in 2007 were marked with uncertainty and waiting for a clear direction from God. But God proved faithful in that he not only showed the way but also established a vibrant team that forms the backbone of Sishya.
From a modest beginning of working among college students in 2007, today Sishya ministries has grown considerably to ministering to young professionals, married couples, and remote communities. Having launched in Chennai, God has extended their influence to other metropolitan cities in several states in India. ‘Disciples for life’ is the driving mission that energizes Sishya and the team of committed volunteers. Sishya continues to value excellence in ministry and promoting a kingdom worldview in every given opportunity.
Vision: Disciples for Life.
Mission: To Birth & grow unique leaders of Truth, Integrity and Excellence who serve the global community as we follow the Lord Jesus Christ.
- CAT groups – CAT is the acronym for “Christ Like Accountable Teaching”. Also called Leadership Cells, CAT functions with the aim of bringing about holistic transformation in individuals by studying the Word of God
- Prayer- We, at Sishya, believe that prayer is fundamental and imperative, and therefore, all our activities are founded in prayer, intercession, soul-searching and personal cleansing.
- The Sishya Team gathers every third Sunday at the Sishya Office (3015-A Y-Block, Off 12th Main road, Anna Nagar) for a time of fasting and prayer.
As a generation following the Lord Jesus Christ, we are committed to reaching out to the needs of the community we live in. Called to be the Salt of the earth, we, in a small way, extend a healing touch to the hurting world around us.
Regular Events throughout the year:
- January 2nd Weekend- Quo Vadis (Discipleship Camp- during Pongal holidays)
- February 2nd Weekend- Three Strands (The marriage enrichment seminar for young couples) in Bangalore.
- March Last weekend- SALT (Sishya Advanced Leadership training) – A leadership seminar for young working professionals
- June 1st Weekend- Summer Tree- Annual Youth Camp
- August 2nd Weekend- Leadership Camp
- October 2nd Weekend- Three Strands Seminar in Chennai
Apart from the above mentioned events, we have the CAT groups which meet every week in different locations. The CAT groups are split up on the basis of age, sex and localities.
Also, we do retreats and programs for Schools and colleges when the institutes invite us.
Upcoming key events
October 2013: Three Strands, Keynote speakers – Rev. C.B. Samuel and Mrs. Selina Samuel
January 2014: Quo Vadis, Keynote speaker – Rev. Ajith Fernando, National Director of Youth for Christ, Sri Lanka
January 2015: Quo Vadis, Keynote speaker – Rev. Sunder Krishnan, Senior Pastor of Rexdale Alliance Church, Toronto.